WERC has been conducting gender sensitization workshops from past three decades. This project was initiated with the following objectives: sensitizing society on gender related issues, consciousness – raising, creating awareness among men and women on the economic, social, political, cultural and legal inequalities of women in society, defining gender equality and providing relevant information.
The following donors funded us in conducting these workshops.
The below mentioned are the workshops took place.
– Participants from the Law Faculty, University of Colombo – Sinhala medium (January, 2006)
– Participants from Women & Children’ Bureau and Police Officers – Sinhala medium (March, 2006)
– Participants from different Tamil schools – Tamil medium (March, 2006)
– Participants from NGOs (male only) – Sinhala medium (March, 2006)
– Participants from Human Rights Information Centers, Puttalam (Muslim only) – Tamil medium (March, 2006)
– Participants from SEDEC’s partner organizations, Kandy, Polonnaruva, Matara & Ratnapura – Sinhala medium (May, 2006)
– Participants from CARE International partner organizations, Polonnaruva – Sinhala medium (June 2006)
– Participants from Women and Child Care Organizations and their partner organizations- Trincomalee – Tamil medium (September 2008)
– Participants from the estate sector in the Southern and Western parts of the country – Tamil medium (January 2008)
– Participants from Care International, Polonnaruwa, Medirigiriya and Kanthale rigions – Sinhala medium (March 2008)
– Participants from Social Welfare Mandrum at Norwood, Hatton and the plantation sector in the Central Province – Tamil and Sinhala mediums (March 2008)
– Participants from Bright Future-Sri Lanka, Vavuniya Branch – Tamil medium (January 2009)
– Participants of Plantation Rural and Development Organization, Bogawanthalawa, Nanuoya and Agrapatne – Tamil medium (February 2009)
– Participants of Janatha Mandapaya, Gami Diriya and Tharunu Saviya – Sinhala medium (February 2009)
For Tamil workshops, we obtained the services from Ms. Vijayagowry Palaniyappan, Ms. Padma Somakanthan, Ms. Kumari Witharana, Dr. Selvy Thiruchandran, Ms. Mangala Manikapoddy, Ms. Sathiatharshini Ganesan, Ms. Thevagowry, Ms. Kohila Mahendra, Ms. Dushyanthy Mohanadas, Mr. Balakrishnan and Mr. Thamilmaran.
For Sinhala workshops, we obtained the services from Ms. Sriyani Perera, Ms. Sumika Perera, Mr. Rukshana Nanayakkara, Ms. Marini de Livera, Dr. Janaki Jayawardena, Dr. Sunil Wijesiriwardena and Ms. Kumari Witharana.